Pasta shows its versatility as a "pie crust" in Carol Beyerl's family-pleasing main dish. "This is a combination of several recipes. I came up with it when I didn't have all the ingredients to make any one of them," she writes from Ellensburg, Washington. A nice alternative to lasagna, the saucy entree doesn't taste light.
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Add the egg substitute and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, green pepper and remaining Parmesan cheese. Spread over spaghetti crust.
- In a nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and garlic in butter until tender. Spoon over cheese mixture. Spread with spaghetti sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spaghetti Pie in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p10
Reviews for Meatless Spaghetti Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review