Meatless Mushroom & Black Bean Chili Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: shredded Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onions, red and green peppers, brown sugar, chili powder, garlic and cumin; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until slightly caramelized.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, broth, lime juice, cilantro, chipotle peppers and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve with toppings as desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Meatless Mushroom & Black Bean Chili in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews for Meatless Mushroom & Black Bean Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 21, 2015
"I need to cut down on my cholesterol. It would be helpful if the recipe has it's nutritional values included'"