Meatless Minestrone Recipe
This recipe for traditional Italian soup may have quite a few ingredients, but it couldn't be easier to prepare. Plus it's packed with flavor and nutrition.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and carrots in butter until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, water, cabbage, potato and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in beans and rice; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup: 166 calories, 6g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 7g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Meatless Minestrone
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC