This recipe for traditional Italian soup may have quite a few ingredients, but it couldn't be easier to prepare. Plus it's packed with flavor and nutrition.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and carrots in butter until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, water, cabbage, potato and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in beans and rice; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Meatless Minestrone in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p25
Reviews for Meatless Minestrone
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review