Meatless Lasagna Recipe
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (15 ounces) Galbani® Reduced-Fat Ricotta Cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, mushrooms, carrots and peppers; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove 2 cups sauce and set aside.
- 2. Drain noodles; set aside. Combine the ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella and Romano cheese. In an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer a third of the remaining sauce, three noodles and half of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce and noodles. Spread reserved sauce over top.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
One piece equals 244 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.