- and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, water,
- tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 20 minutes. Remove 2 cups sauce and set aside.
- Drain noodles; set aside. Combine the ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella and
- Romano cheese. In an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer a
- third of the remaining sauce, three noodles and half of the cheese
- mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce and noodles. Spread
- reserved sauce over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with
- remaining mozzarella. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is
- melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One piece equals 244 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.