Meatless Hopping John Recipe
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the corn, carrots, peppers and onion in oil for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the rice, peas and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Add the seasonings; cook 2-3 minutes longer. Yield: 10 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 149 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 313 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.