- Stir in the tomato puree, tomatoes, sugar, oregano, bay leaf, and the
- remaining black beans, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 1
- hour, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Discard bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, cilantro and 1/2
- cup Parmesan cheese. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer
- three noodles, half of the ricotta mixture and a third of the
- tomato-bean sauce. Top with a third of the mozzarella; sprinkle with
- a third of the remaining Parmesan.
- Top with three noodles; layer with pureed bean mixture and a third
- each of the tomato-bean sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Top with
- remaining noodles, ricotta mixture, tomato-bean sauce, mozzarella
- and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or
- until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 456 calories, 26 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 1,006 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.