Meatballs with Vegetable Sauce Recipe
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons beef broth
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute the mushrooms, celery, onion and green pepper in butter. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, broth, lemon juice and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the meatballs. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve over noodles. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup: 367 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 749mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Reviews for Meatballs with Vegetable Sauce
"My husband liked this better than I did. The sauce was very sweet. If I make it again I will cut back on the brown sugar"