Meatballs with Vegetable Sauce Recipe
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons beef broth
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute the mushrooms, celery, onion and green pepper in butter. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, broth, lemon juice and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the meatballs. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve over noodles. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 367 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 188 mg cholesterol, 749 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Reviews for Meatballs with Vegetable Sauce
"My husband liked this better than I did. The sauce was very sweet. If I make it again I will cut back on the brown sugar"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.