Meatballs with Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 ounces ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) whole tomatoes, quartered
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-3/4-in. balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, water, parsley, sugar, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Add meatballs to sauce; simmer 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups sauce and 5 meatballs (calculated without spaghetti) equals 544 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 186 mg cholesterol, 1,445 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.