Meatballs with Spaetzle Recipe
This is our children's favorite meal...they've dubbed it a "must make" menu item during college vacations. It never fails to earn compliments and recipe requests. - Paula Karcavich, Lemont, Illinois.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Dash pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- HOMEMADE SPAETZLE:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 quarts water or beef broth
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a skillet, brown meatballs; drain. Add broth, mushrooms and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Combine the flour, caraway seeds and sour cream until smooth; stir into meatball mixture. Cook over low heat until heated through and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the flour, salt, eggs and milk. Let stand for 5 minutes. In a large saucepan, bring water or broth to a rapid boil. Place spaetzle batter in a colander or spaetzle press. Holding over the boiling liquid, press batter through holds of colander. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until tender; drain. Serve meatballs and sauce over spaetzle. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Meatballs with Spaetzle in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p39
Reviews for Meatballs with Spaetzle(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review