Meatballs in Potato Cups Recipe
I make this often for company. The potato cups make a unique and edible "container" for the meatballs. —Betty Jecmenek, Columbus, Texas
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2/3 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- BOUILLON GRAVY:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine potatoes and egg. Using an ice cream scoop, place eight mounds of potato mixture onto a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- 2. Combine the onion, celery, beef, oats, milk, salt and pepper; shape into eight meatballs. Press one meatball halfway into each potato "cup". Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until the meat and potatoes are browned.
- 3. Meanwhile, for gravy, melt butter in a small saucepan; remove from the heat. Blend in flour. Stir in water and bouillon. Add browning sauce if desired. Cook and stir until smooth and thickened. Spoon gravy over potato cups and pass any remaining gravy. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 203 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 819 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC