A tasty sauce made of plum jam and chili sauce coats these moist meatballs beautifully. Make sure these delightful appetizers are on your holiday menus. —Mary Poninski, Whittington, Illinois
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plum jam
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- In a large bowl, pour milk over bread crumbs; let stand for 10 minutes. Add the egg, Worcestershire sauce, onion, salt, pepper and cloves. Crumble beef, pork and veal over mixture and mix well (mixture will be soft). Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil in batches. Drain on paper towels. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, dissolve bouillon in water. Stir flour into pan drippings until blended; add the bouillon mixture, jam and chili sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over meatballs.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and sauce is bubbly. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Meatballs in Plum Sauce in Taste of Home October/November 2006, p27
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Meatballs in Plum Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review