Meatballs in Dill Cream Sauce Recipe
My guests really like this recipe and want to know why it's so different from other meatball dishes they've had. I tell them it's the spices I use. I usually serve this as a main dish for lunch. I created this recipe myself "from scratch".
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces lean ground pork
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Cooked buttered wide egg noodles, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine the beef, pork, onion, seasonings, crumbs and water. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls and place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a large skillet. Blend in flour until smooth. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add dill and meatballs. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 3. Stir in cream. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles if desired or as an appetizer. Yield: 4 main-dish servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 370 calories, 22 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 833 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC