Meatballs and Gravy Recipe
"CHRISTMAS was the time when our family forgot about the food budget and splurged on one special meal. I can still see Grandmother making dozens of these little meatballs! The hint of spices gives them a savory taste that makes them authentically Norwegian."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the egg, milk, cornstarch, onion, salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice and ginger. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. meatballs. (Mixture will be very soft. For easier shaping, rinse hands in cold water frequently.)
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the meatballs in butter, half at a time, for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove meatballs to paper towels to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- 3. For gravy, add butter to drippings. Stir in flour. Add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Return meatballs to skillet; heat through on low. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (3 each) equals 302 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 712 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC