Meatballs and Gravy Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, milk, cornstarch, onion, salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice and ginger. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. meatballs. (Mixture will be very soft. For easier shaping, rinse hands in cold water frequently.)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the meatballs in butter, half at a time, for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove meatballs to paper towels to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- For gravy, add butter to drippings. Stir in flour. Add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Return meatballs to skillet; heat through on low. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Meatballs and Gravy
Sort By :
"Wow, this was a surprise in the taste. I had no idea they were going to be this good with what the recipe called for. Every one made a comment remarking how good they were. Will make them again."
"We enjoyed these meatballs; thank you!"
"this was a very good swedish meatball recipe. i goofed and forgot to add the onion to the meatballs, so i cooked them with the gravy and it was still delicious! the meat mixture is very wet, they went into the pan as meatballs but flatened out as they cooked. doesn't matter, they're little meatcakes. will definitely make again."
"we love this recipe- its even good to make as a meatloaf lol"