Meatball Sub Sandwiches Recipe
These hot, meaty sandwiches have a tangy barbecue-style sauce rather than the more traditional Italian tomato sauce. Onion an pepper slices make each bite twice as nice. — Kim Marie Van Rheenen, Mendota, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 9 submarine sandwich buns
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1. Cut a thin slice off the top of each roll; scoop out bread from inside. Crumble 1-1/4 cups of the bread and place in a large bowl. Cover rolls and tops with plastic wrap; set aside.
- 2. To the crumbled bread, add beef, egg, milk, diced onion, salt and pepper. Shape into 27 meatballs, about 1-1/2-in. each. In a large skillet, cook meatballs in 1 tablespoon oil for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- 3. Add remaining oil to skillet, saute green peppers and slice onion until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- 4. Stir flour into skillet. Add chili sauce and water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and mustard Add meatballs, peppers and onion; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, warm rolls in a 325° oven for 8-10 minutes. Spoon three meatballs and sauce into each roll; replace tops. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 596 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 1,591 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC