Meatball Sub Casserole Recipe
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef
- 6 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the onion, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls; place on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, arrange bread in a single layer in an ungreased shallow 3-cup baking dish. Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over bread. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese.
- 3. In a bowl, combine the spaghetti sauce, water and garlic; add meatballs. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 3 servings.
1 serving (prepared with reduced-fat cream cheese, reduced-fat mayonnaise and meatless spaghetti sauce) equals 371 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 943 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.