Meatball Stew Recipe
Many years ago, the Farm Journal published a recipe that became the "jumping-off point" for my version. It's as colorful as it is delicious. I often serve it over wide egg noodles or atop steamed rice—but it's also good just as it is.—Savilla Zook, Seabrook, Maryland.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 1 jar (16 ounces) whole onions, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, salt, marjoram and thyme. Crumble beef over the top and mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs. Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Brown meatballs in batches; drain.
- 2. Add the soup, broth, potatoes, carrots and whole onions. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 248 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 895 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC