Meatball Soup Recipe
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup uncooked tiny shell pasta
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Brown meatballs in a large saucepan; drain. Add broth, beans, tomatoes, carrot and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Add pasta; simmer 10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and pasta is tender. Freeze in 1-1/2 cup portions for up to 3 months. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving: 1-1/2 cups (calculated without salt) equals 248 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 778 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.