- garlic powder and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place on a greased rack in a shallow
- baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until
- no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 3-4
- minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in
- the water, tomato paste, salt, sugar, oregano, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Add the meatballs. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Discard bay leaf. Spoon five meatballs with sauce onto each bun
- bottom. Sprinkle with cheese. Replace tops. Yield: 14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 690 calories, 20 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,519 mg sodium, 96 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 30 g protein.