Meatball Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup sliced carrots, cooked
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 7 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- Half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients (mixture will be soft). Divide into fourths; shape each portion into 12 small meatballs. Brown meatballs in batches in a large skillet; drain and set aside.
- 2. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Combine liquid with cornstarch; pour into skillet. Add tomatoes and bouillon; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir in peas and carrots. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°. For crust, in a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork. Transfer to a lightly floured surface. Knead gently to form a dough. (Mixture will be very crumbly at first, but will come together and form a dough as it's kneaded.) Divide dough in half.
- 4. Roll each half of dough between two pieces of lightly floured waxed paper to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Remove top piece of waxed paper from one pastry circle; invert onto a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Remove remaining waxed paper. Trim pastry even with rim. Add meatballs; spoon tomato mixture over top.
- 5. Remove top piece of waxed paper from remaining pastry circle; invert onto pie. Remove remaining waxed paper. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top; brush with cream.
- 6. Bake until crust is golden brown, 45-50 minutes. Cover edges loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 735 calories, 43 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 1,094 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Reviews for Meatball Pie
"Been a very long time since making this dish. When my daughter was a youngster she loved this ~~ she's now in her 30's ~~ wonderin' is she remembers this!!"
"Excellent and easy to make if you use the pre-made crust!"
"I cheated and used frozen pie crust, but I followed the directions for the filling exactly. It turned out wonderful! My son-in-law took a slice for his lunch next day and hinted to his wife (my daughter) that he would sure like for her to make a pie from this recipe."