I've made these meatballs for years to use in this sandwich or to toss into spaghetti sauce. The big sub is a great conversation piece and tasty treat at football parties. - Colleen Edelsward, Woodinville, Washington
Recommended: 37 Marvelous Meatball Recipes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 envelope spaghetti sauce mix, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce mix and salt. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into 20-24 meatballs.
- In a large skillet, cook meatballs until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, water and remaining spaghetti sauce mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the bread. Cut a thin slice off the top; hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving a 3/8-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spoon meatballs and sauce into bread shell; replace top. Slice, serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Party Sub in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p97
Reviews for Meatball Party Sub
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 24, 2010
"So delicious!! We'll be making it again, especially since my younger son actually ate it---and had seconds!! Amazing for a boy who claims to "hate" meatballs and spaghetti sauce. This was a definite hit for us!"