This creamy, super-thick soup is hearty with meatballs, mushrooms, barley, macaroni and rice. With dinner rolls or breadsticks, it's a simple and satisfying meal for my husband and me on a rainy day. Leftovers easily reheat for a fast, filling lunch or dinner. -JoAnn Abbott, Kerhonkson, New York
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Shape beef into 1-in. balls; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine soup, milk and water; bring to a boil. Add Italian seasoning, onion, garlic, barley, macaroni and rice. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown meatballs in a nonstick skillet until no longer pink. Stir carrot into soup; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer meatballs to soup. Stir in mushrooms and Parmesan cheese; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Mushroom Soup in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p29
Reviews for Meatball Mushroom Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review