Meatball Lover's Sandwich Recipe
Meet the Cook: You'll find that these hearty sandwiches will satisfy even the healthiest appetites. My husband and our three children love them! I like the fact that the recipe makes a big batch of meatballs with tangy sauce. -Kelly Gerhardt, Council Bluffs, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 8 hoagie buns or submarine rolls, split
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1. In a bowl, beat eggs and milk. Stir in bread crumbs, chopped onion and salt. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. In a saucepan, saute garlic in butter. Add ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, celery seed, salt and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; add meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Carefully hollow out buns, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Spoon meatball mixture into buns; top with sliced onion. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 587 calories, 21 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 1,828 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 34 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC