- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 8 hoagie buns or submarine rolls, split
- 1 large onion, sliced
- In a bowl, beat eggs and milk. Stir in bread crumbs, chopped onion and salt. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a saucepan, saute garlic in butter. Add ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, celery seed, salt and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; add meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Carefully hollow out buns, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Spoon meatball mixture into buns; top with sliced onion.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve on buns and top with sliced onion. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Meatball Lover's Sandwich
Sort By :
"These were very tasty and the whole family enjoyed them! I substituted garlic powder in place of the garlic cloves and tomato sauce in place of the chili sauce.these were packed with flavor!"
"I love this recipe I make double the sauce and use red hot sweet chili sauce which gives it a nice bit of heat. One of the family favorites."
"I thought these were excellent! My husband prefers spaghetti sauce type meatball subs, though. I think the meatballs would also be good as an appetizer."