Meatball Hash Brown Bake Recipe
Meet the Cook: For a seniors potluck at church, I wanted to create a recipe that would incorporate a meat dish and side dish in one. This casserole proved to be a crowd-pleaser, and I was asked by many to share my recipe. -Jo Ann Fritzler, Belen, New Mexico
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup crushed saltines (about 20 crackers)
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1. In a bowl, lightly beat eggs. Stir in cracker crumbs, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 2. In a covered skillet over low heat, cook meatballs in a small amount of water until browned; drain. In a bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, cheese, onion and remaining salt and pepper. With paper towels, pat hash browns dry. Stir into the soup mixture.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange meatballs over top, pressing lightly into mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and potatoes are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 369 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 1,107 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC