Meatball Garden Stew Recipe
This dish was a favorite of Mom's. She passed the recipe on to me when I got married. Now it's become one of my family's favorites, too! It's delicious and satisfying, and calls for ingredients I almost always have on hand.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and crosswise
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine beef, 2 tablespoons flour, salt, pepper, egg, milk and onion. Form into 1-in. balls.
- 2. Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Saute garlic for 1 minute. Brown meatballs on all sides. Move meatballs to the side. Blend remaining flour into the drippings. Add the broth, water and thyme. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Add the potatoes, carrots and onions and stir with meatballs and sauce. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 370 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 790 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Reviews for Meatball Garden Stew
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC