This dish was a favorite of Mom's. She passed the recipe on to me when I got married. Now it's become one of my family's favorites, too! It's delicious and satisfying, and calls for ingredients I almost always have on hand.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and crosswise
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, 2 tablespoons flour, salt, pepper, egg, milk and onion. Form into 1-in. balls.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Saute garlic for 1 minute. Brown meatballs on all sides. Move meatballs to the side. Blend remaining flour into the drippings. Add the broth, water and thyme. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions and stir with meatballs and sauce. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Garden Stew in Country Extra January 1991, p45
Reviews for Meatball Garden Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2014
"This didn't come together for me as described in the instructions. The meatballs would not form and it was time consuming to prepare. As a busy mom I would probably not make it again. But it was good just not as expected."