- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and crosswise
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, 2 tablespoons flour, salt, pepper, egg, milk and onion. Form into 1-in. balls.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Saute garlic for 1 minute. Brown meatballs on all sides. Move meatballs to the side. Blend remaining flour into the drippings. Add the broth, water and thyme. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions and stir with meatballs and sauce. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Garden Stew in Country Extra January 1991, p45
Reviews for Meatball Garden Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2014
This didn't come together for me as described in the instructions. The meatballs would not form and it was time consuming to prepare. As a busy mom I would probably not make it again. But it was good just not as expected.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meatball Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >