Meatball Chili with Dumplings Recipe
My family enjoys this delicious recipe—it's like a spicy meatball stew with dumplings!—Sarah Yoder, Middlebury, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion, divided
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs or rolled oats
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules, divided
- 3 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- CORNMEAL DUMPLINGS:
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine egg, 1/4 cup onion, bread crumbs, 3 teaspoons bouillon and 1 teaspoon chili powder; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into twelve 1-1/2 in. meatballs. Roll in flour.
- 2. Heat oil in a skillet; brown meatballs. Drain on paper towels. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, garlic and cumin with the remaining onion, bouillon and chili powder. Add meatballs. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour. Stir in beans.
- 3. Combine dumpling ingredients. Drop by spoonfuls onto chili; cook on low, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10-12 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 475 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 1,523 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 26 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC