Meatball Casserole Recipe
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash salt
- Dash garlic powder
- 1/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce or meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, egg substitute, Italian seasoning, onion powder, salt and garlic powder. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1/2-in. balls; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Drain pasta and meatballs. In a small bowl, combine meatballs with marinara sauce. Spoon half of mixture into a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with half of the pasta, cottage cheese and mozzarella; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Meatball Casserole
Sort By :
Looks very easyfor sure. The carb count is not very friendly, however, there are ways to get around that.
I had to be out of the house during the time I usually cook, but wanted supper ready so I put the layers in the crock pot to melt the cheese for a couple of hours while I was out so I didn't need to use the oven.
I also used ready made meatballs.
I think sliced olives might be good with this casserole. My DH who doesn't like tomatoes said it was too tomato-y. I'd like to make it over with a cheese or white sauce? How can I do this? Any ideas?
This was a very simple and easy recipe to make and VERY DELICIOUS! The turkey meatballs had tons of great flavors. My guests for dinner really enjoyed it.