Meatball Calzones Recipe
My family can’t get enough of this savory entree. We have to have it at least once a month, or everyone goes through withdrawal. Leftovers freeze well for a quick meal later. —Cori Cooper Flagstaff, Arizona
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Additional Italian seasoning
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce, warmed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels. Reduce heat to 350°.
- 3. On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spoon a third of the meatballs and mozzarella cheese down the center of each rectangle. Fold dough over filling; press edges firmly to seal.
- 4. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush tops with egg white; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Let stand for 15-30 minutes. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with spaghetti sauce. Yield: 3 calzones (4 servings each).
1 serving (1 piece) equals 648 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 1,253 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 41 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC