- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 3 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Additional Italian seasoning
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels. Reduce heat to 350°.
- On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spoon a third of the meatballs and mozzarella cheese down the center of each rectangle. Fold dough over filling; press edges firmly to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Brush tops with egg white; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Let stand for 15-30 minutes. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with spaghetti sauce. Yield: 3 calzones (4 servings each).
Reviews for Meatball Calzones
Sort By :
"I had a lot of trouble with the dough, so I think I will use either pizza dough or perhaps biscuit dough to make smaller, individual ones that can be frozen easier. Otherwise, really good and easy to make."
"My daughter has asked me to make this for her special birthday dinner. They're very good but a little tricky to seal without ripping the dough. Perhaps I'll get better with practice."
"great for a family dinner, but too much bread for our liking. I will make this again and replace the bread with pizza dough"
"Love this - i often just make 1 or 2 loaves depending on how many people are eating and freeze any leftover meatballs to use as sub sandwiches or with pasta!"
"This Calzone was the best ive made and i will make it again."