My family can’t get enough of this savory entree. We have to have it at least once a month, or everyone goes through withdrawal. Leftovers freeze well for a quick meal later. —Cori Cooper Flagstaff, Arizona
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Additional Italian seasoning
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels. Reduce heat to 350°.
- On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spoon a third of the meatballs and mozzarella cheese down the center of each rectangle. Fold dough over filling; press edges firmly to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Brush tops with egg white; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Let stand for 15-30 minutes. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with spaghetti sauce. Yield: 3 calzones (4 servings each).
Originally published as Meatball Calzones in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p41
Reviews for Meatball Calzones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review