Meatball Cabbage Rolls Recipe
My mother would often have these cabbage rolls simmering in her slow cooker when my family and I arrived at her house for week-end visits. The mouthwatering meatballs tucked inside made these stand out from any other cabbage rolls I've tried.—Betty Buckmaster, Muskogee, Oklahoma
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 large head cabbage
- 2 cans (one 15 ounces and one 8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Salt and garlic powder to taste
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 14-16 large leaves for rolls. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.) Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine 8 oz. of tomato sauce, onion, rice, chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into 2-in. balls. Place one meatball on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose meatball. Secure with toothpicks.
- 3. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour remaining tomato sauce over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is no longer pink and cabbage is tender. Discard toothpicks Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 277 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 599 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC