Meatball Alphabet Soup Recipe
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup uncooked alphabet pasta
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. In a nonstick skillet, brown meatballs in small batches over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in oil for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; saute for 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, basil and thyme; bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook for 5-6 minutes. Reduce heat; add meatballs. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 9 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 191 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 679 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat.