When we do manage to get cold weather in California, I stir up this power-packed soup that encourages my guys to eat more veggies and stay warm. —Laura Greenberg, Lake Balboa, CA
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, bring stock, garlic and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix egg, bread crumbs, milk, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, pepper and remaining salt. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
Add carrots, pasta and meatballs to boiling stock. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach until wilted.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Meatball & Pasta Soup in Simple & Delicious December/January 2015
Reviews for Meatball & Pasta Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review