Meat Sauce for Pasta Recipe
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage or ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, chili powder and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Discard bay leaves. Freeze in meal-size portions.
- 3. To use frozen meat sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; heat through. Serve over pasta. Yield: About 14 servings.
3/4 cup: 128 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 773mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Meat Sauce for Pasta
"I love this recipe for my large family. It is convenient and extremely versatile."
"I will definately make tis, this week_end and freeze some of it.Can't wait to eat some over pasta. Sounds delious."
"fantastic we love it"