Meat Sauce for Pasta Recipe
"I freeze a batch of this chunky sauce when I know I'll be entertaining weekend guests," says Alberta McKay of Bartlesville, Oklahoma. "It easily defrosts and reheats for a hearty meal in no time."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour YIELD:14 servings
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage or ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, chili powder and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Discard bay leaves. Freeze in meal-size portions.
- 3. To use frozen meat sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; heat through. Serve over pasta. Yield: About 14 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 128 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 773 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC