"I freeze a batch of this chunky sauce when I know I'll be entertaining weekend guests," says Alberta McKay of Bartlesville, Oklahoma. "It easily defrosts and reheats for a hearty meal in no time."
Recommended: 42 Better-for-You Pasta Recipes
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage or ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, chili powder and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven, cook meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Discard bay leaves. Freeze in meal-size portions.
- To use frozen meat sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; heat through. Serve over pasta. Yield: About 14 servings.
Originally published as Meat Sauce for Pasta in Quick Cooking September/October 2002, p20
Reviews for Meat Sauce for Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 31, 2009
"I love this recipe for my large family. It is convenient and extremely versatile."
Reviewed Mar. 9, 2009
"I will definately make tis, this week_end and freeze some of it.Can't wait to eat some over pasta. Sounds delious."
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2008
"fantastic we love it"