Meat-Lover's Pizza Hot Dish Recipe
I make this hearty casserole for the men who help us out during harvest time. Every year they say it’s the best, hands down. Throw in any pizza toppings your family likes—Canadian bacon, black olives and green peppers are some of our picks. —Brook Bothun, Canby, Minnesota
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pizza sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, sausage, onion and mushrooms over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up meat into crumbles; drain.
- 2. Transfer meat mixture to a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in tomato sauce, pizza sauce, pasta, water, tomato paste, pepperoni and Italian seasoning. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until pasta is tender.
- 3. Stir thoroughly; mix in 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Cook, covered, 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC