I make this hearty casserole for the men who help us out during harvest time. Every year they say it’s the best, hands down. Throw in any pizza toppings your family likes—Canadian bacon, black olives and green peppers are some of our picks. —Brook Bothun, Canby, Minnesota
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pizza sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef, sausage, onion and mushrooms over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up meat into crumbles; drain.
- Transfer meat mixture to a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in tomato sauce, pizza sauce, pasta, water, tomato paste, pepperoni and Italian seasoning. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until pasta is tender.
- Stir thoroughly; mix in 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Cook, covered, 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Meat-Lover's Pizza Hot Dish in Simple & Delicious February/March 2014
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Meat Lover's Pizza Hot Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review