Meat Loaves with Pesto Sauce Recipe
- PESTO SAUCE:
- 2 cups fresh spinach or parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- MEAT LOAVES:
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce,divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. In a blender, combine pesto ingredients. Cover and process until a paste forms. Set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, onion, 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, egg, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons pesto sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four loaves.
- 3. In a skillet, heat oil. Brown meat loaves on all sides. Combine 1 tablespoon pesto sauce, water and remaining tomato sauce; pour over meat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve the loaves topped with tomato-pesto sauce. Refrigerate or freeze remaining pesto sauce for later use. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 903 calories, 79 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 1,059 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.