Meat Loaf with Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 50 crackers), divided
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (23 ounces) cut sweet potatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4 bacon strips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, egg, 1/2 cup of cracker crumbs, green pepper, onion and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes; drain. Combine sweet potatoes and molasses; roll potatoes in remaining crumbs. Add potatoes to the pan; place bacon strips over meat loaf. Bake 30 minutes longer or until the meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 477 calories, 22 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 1,079 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.