Mother often prepared this for supper after Sunday services. Sweet potatoes are a traditional part of Southern cooking. - Kay Goins, Church Hill, Tennessee
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 50 crackers), divided
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (23 ounces) cut sweet potatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4 bacon strips
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, egg, 1/2 cup of cracker crumbs, green pepper, onion and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes; drain. Combine sweet potatoes and molasses; roll potatoes in remaining crumbs. Add potatoes to the pan; place bacon strips over meat loaf. Bake 30 minutes longer or until the meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Meat Loaf with Sweet Potatoes in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p41
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Meat Loaf with Sweet Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review