Meat Loaf with Potato Crust Recipe
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- POTATO TOPPING:
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the seasonings. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in green onions and thyme. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- 2. Whisk in eggs; stir in bread crumbs. Crumble beef and veal over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Mash potatoes with the broth, oil, pepper and reserved cooking liquid.
- 4. Using a large star tip, pipe mashed potatoes onto meat loaf. Bake 45 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 341 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 742mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein .
Reviews for Meat Loaf with Potato Crust
"I made this recipe per the instructions and it was good. I would make it again but because there are so many meatloaf recipes I most likely won't rush right back to it. I did not pipe the potatoes on but used a spatula to cover the loaf instead which worked out just fine. It was definitely tasty, easy and made for a nice meal. I do have to say though that the curry does permeate a strong odor throughout the house....my whole family was like 'what are you cooking???'. Wasn't too bad but we did get a few laughs out of it."
"Make sure you follow the ingredient sizes. I didn't use all the meat but forgot to cut back on the curry, so my meatloaf was over seasoned. It was still delicious and I will definitely make it again, but I'll be sure to follow the recipe closer."
"Absolutely WONDERFUL meatloaf! I don't pipe the potatos on top; I just spoon them on. I also use all ground beef instead of veal."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.