Meat loaf gets dressed up for company with this savory recipe. The ground meat is well seasoned with curry powder, allspice, green onion and thyme. And the potato coating adds a special touch. —Wendy Hoskin Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- POTATO TOPPING:
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the seasonings. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in green onions and thyme. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Whisk in eggs; stir in bread crumbs. Crumble beef and veal over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Mash potatoes with the broth, oil, pepper and reserved cooking liquid.
- Using a large star tip, pipe mashed potatoes onto meat loaf. Bake 45 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Meat Loaf with Potato Crust in Taste of Home October/November 2008, p70
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Meat Loaf with Potato Crust
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review