Meat Loaf with Potato Crust Recipe
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- POTATO TOPPING:
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the seasonings. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in green onions and thyme. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Whisk in eggs; stir in bread crumbs. Crumble beef and veal over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Mash potatoes with the broth, oil, pepper and reserved cooking liquid.
- Using a large star tip, pipe mashed potatoes onto meat loaf. Bake 45 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Meat Loaf with Potato Crust
Sort By :
"3/4 cup canola oil? I think that must be a mistake! If not, way too much oil to be healthy. Possibly should be broth, since that is listed in the recipe, but isn't in the list of ingredients for the meatloaf, just the potatoes."
"I made this recipe per the instructions and it was good. I would make it again but because there are so many meatloaf recipes I most likely won't rush right back to it. I did not pipe the potatoes on but used a spatula to cover the loaf instead which worked out just fine. It was definitely tasty, easy and made for a nice meal. I do have to say though that the curry does permeate a strong odor throughout the house....my whole family was like 'what are you cooking???'. Wasn't too bad but we did get a few laughs out of it."
"Make sure you follow the ingredient sizes. I didn't use all the meat but forgot to cut back on the curry, so my meatloaf was over seasoned. It was still delicious and I will definitely make it again, but I'll be sure to follow the recipe closer."
"Absolutely WONDERFUL meatloaf! I don't pipe the potatos on top; I just spoon them on. I also use all ground beef instead of veal."
"Shouldn't the 3/4 cup be beef broth instead of canola oil?"