- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Additional chili sauce, optional
- Cut four 20x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a 9-in. round loaf. Place loaf in center of strips in slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°. If desired, spoon additional chili sauce over meat loaf; let stand 10 minutes. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Meat Loaf with Chili Sauce
Sort By :
"I really like this and it made great sandwiches too!"
"This is a great recipe! I can't believe I've lived in the southwest all my life and never thought of doing this! I'm not very found of commercial chili sauces (often made with and tasting very much like vinegar), so I used prepared red chile from Bueno Foods instead. The result was perfect and delicious! Definitely going to become a go-to slow cooker recipe in my house!"
"This was good. Easy enough. Stayed moist. I baked mine in the oven as I was short on time but the chili sauce gave it a nice twang."
"What is Chili Sauce? Is there a favorite kind you use?"
"You can find Spicy Brown Mustard (like Gulden's) with the rest of the mustards in your favorite market."