Meat Loaf Wellington
My family would rather have this than plain meat loaf. It's a good way to dress up an ordinary dish for company. Many people have asked for the recipe.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef gravy, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup gravy, bread cubes, onion, egg and salt.
- Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into a greased 9-in. x
- 5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour or until
- meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Remove
- loaf from pan; drain on paper towels. Place on a greased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking pan. Unroll crescent roll dough; seal perforations.
- Cover top and sides of meat loaf with dough; trim excess. Bake 10-15
- minutes longer or until pastry is golden brown. Heat the remaining
- gravy; serve with meat loaf. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 378 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 823 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 27 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot