Meat Loaf-Stuffed Peppers
With my husband—who won't eat the same thing twice—I've had to learn to be creative with leftovers (around here, we call it "recycled food"). I put this recipe together to use up leftover meat loaf. When it's dressed up with homegrown peppers, he doesn't know he really is getting yesterday's main course!
Actually, leftovers are both coming and going in this recipe—if I have a
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 6 large green peppers
- 2 cups cubed leftover meat loaf
- 3-1/3 to 4 cups spaghetti sauce or 3 cups leftover spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups leftover cooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Remove tops and seeds from peppers. Immerse in boiling water for 3
- minutes; drain. Pour 1 cup of spaghetti sauce into a shallow baking
- dish; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine meat loaf, rice, onion, chopped green pepper
- and remaining spaghetti sauce. Cook and stir over medium-high heat
- for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Stuff each pepper with
- meat loaf mixture; place on sauce in baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until heated
- through. Sprinkle with the cheese and let stand until melted. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 426 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 930 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein.