Meet the Cook: Although I'm retired after years teaching school, my days continue to be full. So easy dishes like this still are a blessing to me. My husband - who's a meat loaf lover - and I have five grown children and eight grandchildren.—Lois Gallup Edwards, Woodland, California
Recommended: Recipes with Secret Ingredients
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Additional Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the crumbs, broth, egg and seasonings; let stand for 2 minutes. Sprinkle beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a piece of waxed paper, pat meat mixture into a 10-in. square. Combine hash browns, cheese, parsley and onion salt; spoon over meat.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, removing waxed paper as you roll. Pinch edges and ends to seal; place with seam side down in an ungreased shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Combine the first three sauce ingredients; spoon over loaf. Return to the oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Meat Loaf Potato Surprise in Country Woman March/April 1996, p29
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Meat Loaf Potato Surprise
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 13, 2015
"One of my family's favorites!"