Meat Loaf Pie Recipe
Juanita Rocha of San Angelo, Texas easily whips up this meaty pie with instant mashed potatoes, which cuts down the prep time but not the taste. "This recipe is very fast and easy to put together," she notes. "It's been a family favorite since 1069 and remains my children's most-asked-for meat loaf."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-3/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 envelope (7.6 ounces) butter and herb instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased deep-dish 9-in. pie plate.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Meanwhile, prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions; stir in mustard.
- 3. Drain meat loaf; spread potatoes over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC